Well, the last month of Summer is about to be here- how?? Seriously, how?
Per usual, the warm (read: excruciatingly hot) months are flying by, but there’s still plenty to keep busy you around the district this August, so it’s not time to write the summer off yet.
Now is the perfect time to revisit that summer bucket list and knock out a few more fun things you’ve been meaning to do.
Need some ideas, you came to the right place because we’re here to make sure your month is FOMO-free!
Read below for info on cool concerts, Broadway shows, the Citi Open tennis tournament, festivals galore, and more, then get out and live the #FrayLife this August!
Wednesday, August 1
– Talked about as the most highly anticipated show of the summer, Hamilton is still playing at the Kennedy Center from now through mid-September!
– Cheer on the Nats as they continue to move up in the National League rankings as they take on the Mets in their last match up of a 3 game series.
Thursday, August 2
– Because what’s summer without a country concert? Summer continues at Merriweather Pavillion with Lady Antebellum & Darius Rucker’s Summer Plays on Tour! Grab tickets here.
Friday, August 3
– Enjoy a night full of awesome music, all while supporting a great cause, at Tiny Cat’s Dark Music Festival tonight and tomorrow! There will be 5 acts per night and all proceeds will be donated to the Greater DC Diaper Bank!
– Who’s ready for our all-you-can-drink open bar rooftop pool party (have you ever read so many beautiful things in one sentence?) With a DJ, #FrayLife games, crazy pool inflatables and more, it will surely be a night you won’t forget!
Saturday, August 4
– Don’t miss out on one of the best family events of the summer! Experience the magic of lit up lanterns scattered across National Harbor at One World’s Water Lantern Festival! Grab your tickets here.
– Citi Open is officially back and ready to start bringing our summer to a close. As always, Citi Open is hosting its inaugural Brew Fest and it’s definitely a can’t miss event of the weekend. Tickets include: all you can eat and drink within the tailgate, plus a ticket to watch the matches!
– Nas, Anderson Paak, Daniel Caesar and more are coming to Merriweather Post Pavilion for The 2018 Summer Spirit Festival! Don’t miss out on a night full of great music and better vibes.
Sunday, August 5
– Bring out your inner 90’s kid at RegMoPromo’s 90’s Hip Hop / R&B Boat Party! The party will start at the Georgetown Waterfront and ride across the Potomac and back just in time for a beautiful DC sunset afterwards! Get ready and be prepared to dance.
– Enjoy a low key Sunday full of art and women of power at The Washington Women’s Arts Center (WWAC). The exhibition features 90+ works of formers WWAC members between 1975-1987.
Tuesday, August 7
– Put a spin on your weekly agenda at Penthouse Pool and Lounge’s Twilight Night! Known as one of the most prestigious LGBTQ+ spots in the city, Penthouse is guaranteed to fill your night with fun and entertainment.
Thursday, August 9
– Jazz on Jackson Place continues at The Decatur House, bringing some of the best musicians from around the world to the DC jazz scene. The featured artist for this event is Drummer Sanah Kadoura!
Friday, August 10
– “I’m Yours” had all of us in our feels in 2008. Reminisce one of the biggest hits of the past decade at Jason Mraz’s show at Merriweather Post Pavilion!
– Otakon is back and better than ever! Founded in 1994, Otakon is an annual convention held to celebrate Asian pop culture. The event is held Friday – Sunday at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center!
Saturday, August 11
– Your hips surely won’t lie at Capital One Arena tonight! Shakira is back to bring the house down with her EL Dorado World Tour.
– Light up the DC night sky with family and friends at the 2018 Lights Festival. Tickets include your own personal lantern to light up, as well as markers. Don’t miss out on a bright night you’ll never forget!
Sunday, August 12
– See Elena Delle Donne and your Washington Mystics take on the Dallas Wings at Capital One Arena. Tip off is set for 3 PM!
Monday, August 13
– It’s the best week of the year for fellow food lovers balling on a budget: Restaurant Week! With special three course meals, fixed menus and more at participating restaurants, this is truly your time to go all out for your dream meal!
Wednesday, August 15
– Looking to catch a show after a long day of work? You’re in for a treat! KALO is in town at Gypsy Sally’s for a FREE show! The doors open at 5:30 pm and the show kicks off at 7:30.
Thursday, August 16
– Celebrate the exhibit of quality film, web series and television content by and about people of African descent at the 2018 DC Black Film Festival! The event runs from Thursday to Saturday at The Miracle Theatre!
Saturday, August 18
– Join us for our Virginia River Tubing Trip to get lit river tube style! Meeting spot is the Dunkin’ Donuts in Arlington (near the Ballston Metro stop) between 7-7:30 AM and leave promptly at 8 AM to Front Royal Canoe! Limited spots remain, so grab a spot while you still can!
– Put your taste buds on a wild ride at the 2018 Around the World Cultural Food Festival! Be prepared for cuisine, culture and traditions of over 40 countries. You’ll be sure to leave the event full of food and knowledge!
Sunday, August 19
– Today is the official start of DC Beer Week! Take part in one of the best weeks of the year and experience the area’s best beer tastings, seminars, events and more!
– Get ready to sip, spit and socialize at Beautiful Minds Entertainment’s Sunday Social Open Mic & Social! Get the chance to embrace yourself in the artistic culture of DC in a chill and relaxing environment. You must RSVP to attend!
Monday, August 20
– Cure your Monday blues at Shenanigan’s Broken Mic Comedy every Monday from 8 to 10 PM. Enjoy endless laughs from local comics at this free, entertaining event.
Friday, August 24
– Dying to amp up your Instagram aesthetic? Not quite sure how to do it? #FrayLife has got you covered in our Golden-Hour Smartphone Photography Workshop. Accompanied by a professional photographer, you’ll have the chance to get a glimpse of what it takes to capture a great photograph.
Saturday, August 25
– Saturdays are for festivals! Surround yourself with some of the best local shops, restaurants and services of 17th Street, NW at the 9th annual 17th Street Festival. The festival will take place from 12:00 noon to 6:00 PM!
Sunday, August 26
– End DC Beer Week the right way with Fire Works Pizza’s Solidarity Pig Roast! Each $20 ticket will grab you all you can eat roasted pig, street corn and potato salad, plus one can of select beers!
Wednesday, August 29
– “Living just enough for the city!” National Harbor is hosting the Stevie Wonder Song Party: A Celebration of Life, Love and Music. There’s no better way to end your summer than with some classic Stevie tunes. Grab tickets before they’re gone!
Friday, August 31
– As if this month wasn’t already full of awesome shows from some of the most well known artists around, former One Direction star, Niall Horan, is continuing his solo tour at Jiffy Lube Live!
If we missed any fun events happening this August in the city, let us know using #FrayLife on social!
Looking for more things to do before summer ends? Check out our summer guide on Harpers Ferry!
View More Articles By Nicole LaRusso