At #DCFray, our goal is fun, and December promises a lot of it here in Washington D.C. Whether you’re obsessed with anything holiday related or prefer something a bit low key, we’ve got tons of events and activities to choose from. This month’s edition has everything from a friendly sports competition for a good cause to a romantic date in an igloo. And if you know of a cool event we didn’t mention, let us know, and make sure to tag #DCFray and #FrayLife.
– Start the month off strong and join us for our 4th Annual Santa Bowl Flag Football Tournament. Tickets to the event will benefit Bridges to Independence, an organization that helps the homeless and others in need. Engage in some friendly competition while supporting a good cause!
– Get into the holiday spirit early– but in a chill way– with the opening night of Georgetown GLOW, an exhibit of beautiful outdoor light installations. It’s free, which is awesome for you, and the lights look extra pretty against the backdrop of the historic neighborhood.– All holiday markets are fun, but they’re especially fun if they’re internationally focused. The Swedish Holiday Market will have everything from food to crafts, as well as plenty of perfect gifts for your friends and family.
– The Smithsonian Holiday Market will surely be the cheeriest festival to attend with your friends and family. There will be everything from live music to cooking demonstrations to interactive activities. It’s a great idea for any budget because it’s completely free.
– It’s the time of year to pick out your Christmas tree! The Georgetown Christmas Tree Farm at the glamorous Ritz-Carlton Hotel will showcase an array of beautifully trimmed trees for sale. Once you’re done picking out the perfect tree for you, head to the cozy lobby to enjoy some delicious hot chocolate.
– What better way to spruce up a Monday than with games at a bar, right? Kingfisher hosts a weekly bar bingo every Monday with chances to win awesome prizes. But prizes aside, bingo is a great way to catch up with friends.
– You’ll be able to enjoy these Winter Igloos at The Watergate Hotel all December long. They’re such an enchanting and romantic date night idea, but note that they’re much less crowded on a Tuesday than a Saturday. As a bonus, you’ll get to enjoy stunning views of the city as you sip your cocktails and snuggle up.
– Looking to meet someone special, that you can also have an interesting conversation with? Speed dating is a quick, exhilarating way to do that, and you’re only committed to two minutes at a time. If you’re a woman in the LGBTQ community, join us for our speed dating event and happy hour.
– The Washingtonian’s Winter Wine Classic is an event not to miss for all who love wine and socializing. Ticket holders will enjoy unlimited seasonal wine tastings all night long, along with hors d’oeuvres and live music.
– Head out to the Dacha Holiday Market from 4-9pm. There will be heaters, blankets, and Dacha hot-tails-aflowin’ to keep you and yours warm and cozy. And as an added bonus, the Humane rescue Alliance will be doing pet photos with Santa in the garden from 5-8pm, so don’t forget to bring your pups! Get more details and check out some of the vendors here.
– The Phillips Collection hosts an evening series called Phillips After 5, and this month the theme is Nordic Holiday, featuring treats and cocktails from the Nordic lands. You’ll also experience Nordic holiday traditions and have an opportunity to learn about the culture in a fun and interactive way.
– Starting this weekend, CityCenterDC will present its Winter in Washington exhibit, which will recreate the city of Washington D.C. entirely in ice. We promise you’ll want to snap at least a few photos of this spectacle for your Instagram feed.
– Music is one of the best ways to ring in some holiday cheer, and The St. Regis Hotel will be featuring live jazz performances every Friday going forward. There will also be hot cocoa, cookies, and festive alcoholic beverages, so it’s really a no-brainer.
– If you’re looking to feel like the belle of the ball, grab tickets to the European Holiday Ball at the Embassy of France. Open bar, ballroom dancing, casino games, and much more awaits. It’s also a fantastic way to meet some other fabulous young professionals such as yourself.
– Mount Vernon by Candlelight is especially cool if you love American history and you also love an adventure or activity. Tour the estate by candlelight and learn all about how our ancestors used to celebrate the holidays in the 18th century.
– You can’t miss out on an Ugly Sweater Party this season, and Wunter Garten in NoMa is throwing one for the books this Saturday. If your sweater is the ugliest, you could win a gift card to TJMaxx and Marshalls.
– Bar crawls aren’t just for Halloween and summer nights. Come drink at The Candy Cane Bar Crawl in the charming neighborhood of Del Ray, Virginia. Each participating restaurant includes drink specials, raffle prizes, fun games, and tons more. If you’d rather be drinking instead of baking or caroling, this may be the event for you.
– There’s something so comforting about being at the National Zoo, and during the month of December, it becomes an even more special place with its Zoo Lights exhibit. Bring your friends, family, and kids (or you know, your friends’ and relatives’ kids) to check out all the magical lights that create this winter wonderland. This is another one of those free events that you can only find in a city like D.C.
– The holidays (and Sundays) are best spent at a brewery, right? The 3 Stars Brewing Company is hosting their 7th Annual Holiday Party and your ticket gets you access to tons of food and drink specials, as well as interactive games, face painting, a photo booth, and live performances.
– Love a good party with today’s hottest artists? Hot 99.5’s Jingle Ball will be your chance to see Shawn Mendes, Meghan Trainor, The Chainsmokers and other pop favorites live. Grab your tickets before they sell out!
– Tuesday is kind of the new Friday, and really any day of the holiday season is a good day to go out and drink. Miracle on 7th Street is the holiday bar you cannot miss this month. It’s completely decked out with everything Christmas and the cocktails are as unique as can be. And rather than waiting in line for two hours to get in on a Saturday (not exaggerating here), try going on Tuesday and skip the wait.
– More light shows for you. A good excuse to check out the adorable, waterfront town of Annapolis is to go see the Lights on the Bay. You’ll either get to enjoy the display from the warmth of your car and if you’re feeling social, hop on a bus with other show goers to enjoy the lights together.
– Want to learn a new sport that’s sure to be a good time? Come out to our Squash on Fire Sweat and Social Happy Hour. Get down the basics with our certified coaches in the first part of the event, and then unleash your competitive side with free play. Finish off the night with a happy hour cocktail.
– What’s more classic for the holidays than The Nutcracker? Go see The Washington Ballet’s performance at the Warner Theater tonight and experience all the magic you loved as a kid.
– In need of another bar crawl? Not to fret, the 8th Annual Snow Day Bar Crawl (happening whether it actually snows or not) is the drinking opportunity you need to escape from the cold and frenzy of the season. Tickets are selling out fast, so make sure you grab some before they’re gone.
– Did you devour the Jane Austen novels and wish there could be more? Well, there sort of can be. The DAR is hosting a Jane Austen Birthday Tea, where you will not only enjoy high tea but also play Jane Austen trivia for prizes. Tickets are only $2.75 too, so it’s a great budget find.
– No matter what level you’re at, make sure you go ice skating this month! Best skating rinks to check out include The National Gallery of Art, The Wharf, Georgetown, and the rooftop of the Watergate Hotel.
– Think you know The Office better than everyone else? Test your skills at trivia night at Pinstripes, where all the questions will be based around the Christmas episodes. Reserve your spot here. Who knows, you may just meet your trivia match.
– This #DCFray speed dating event is open to all in the D.C. community, and it’s a great way to get out there and meet cool, new people in real life. Enjoy a drink and lively conversation with other local singles in a casual, laid-back atmosphere.
– Another Friday, another beer…or two. Bluejacket hosts a special brewery tour every Friday night. Attendees get to experience an exclusive tour, complete with tastings, flights, and even snacks to make for the perfect pairings!
– Don’t miss out on the ArtRave Special Christmas Extravaganza. This is the perfect opportunity to visit a popup and get your last minute holiday shopping checked off.
– We won’t say no to a free wine tasting, and every Saturday this month (and generally other months too) Cork Wine Bar offers tastings from its curated selection of wine. Wine tastings are not only fun, but also a great way to learn more about how it’s made, the producers, and the wine industry in general.
– Here at DC Fray, we are big fans of dogs, and we didn’t want you to miss an opportunity to adopt your new furry friend at this month’s City Dog Rescue adoption event. What a great gift to yourself right before Christmas. Even if you can’t adopt right now, you know you want to stop by Logan Hardware on 14th Street NW, and ooh and ahh over all the cute pups.
– Even if you don’t celebrate Christmas, spend this time with your family and loved ones if you can. You won’t ever regret it.
– Now that Christmas is over, and you just want to get out and do something, maybe drink some wine and relax. What better way than the Blind Tasting Workshop at City Winery. Since it’s a workshop and not a test, come ready to enjoy and learn without any pressure. There’s nothing quite like getting social over a few glasses of wine, and how impressive will it be when you can differentiate between wines based solely on taste?
–What’s a more fun way to ring in the New Year than partying with us here at DC Fray? New Year’s Eve at Kelly’s Irish Times will be a party you won’t forget (or you may, depending on how hard you plan on going here). Take advantage of the open bar starting at 9:30 pm, as well as appetizers, party favors, and a dance floor.
– Need another excuse to party the #FrayLife way? Well, for starters, there’s another NYE party going down at Grand Central. Get your night started at 9:30 pm with an open bar, live DJ and champagne toast! General admission and VIP tickets available.
– The Mansion on O Street is fascinating in its own right, but it will be especially enchanting on New Year’s Eve. Travel through hidden doors and secret passageways to open bars, dance floors, food buffets, and other surprises. The party is masquerade, which fits the mansion perfectly. Tickets will get you in for the whole night and include all festivities.
– If you prefer to greet 2019 in your favorite local bar, then maybe the New Year’s Eve at Shaw’s Tavern event is the one for you. Drink beer, hang out with friends, meet new friends, and best of all, indulge in a breakfast buffet starting at 12:30 am.
What are you most pumped about this December? Let us know in the comments below, and show off your holiday fun by tagging #FrayLife and #DCFray in your social posts– we might regram your pic!
With all of the upcoming bar crawls, festivals, and holiday parties, there are endless brews to try. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by all the choices, check out which beers #DCFray has deemed can’t-miss!
GET OUR WEEKLY EMAIL »