January felt like forever, didn’t it? Well, February is the month the year really gets going, and it’s much, much shorter. Whether you’re into the Super B…we mean Big Game, Valentine’s Day, President’s Day, or just any regular day, we’ve got a whole bunch of awesome #DCFray approved events for you.
If you find yourself at any of these, make sure to tag us at #Fraylife. Enjoy the second month of the year!
– Every first Friday of the month, art galleries in the Dupont Circle neighborhood host a Dupont Circle Art Walk, where they open their doors to the public and serve light refreshments. You’ll be able to experience art from diverse galleries and enjoy some of the neighborhood’s beautiful architecture as well. Plus, it’s a fun, free, and educational way to start off your month.
– This year can finally be the year you learn to dance. Starting at 7 pm, DanceSport in Dupont Circle will be hosting salsa and bachata lessons. All levels are welcome to join, whether you’ve never danced before or you’re good on your feet. It’s at the very least a different kind of Friday night date night.
– If brunching is your jam (and it probably is if you live in the DC metro area), check out the 2nd Annual DC Brunch Fest at Union Market on Saturday. Your ticket will include unlimited food and drink (you read that right) from a variety of vendors. There will also be a DJ playing some tunes and tons of games/social activities.
– Winter is meant to be celebrated, so embrace the cold and come out to Ice Yards, the annual adult winter festival. You can expect everything from specialty seasonal cocktails to local brews to live music to interactive games, and much more. This year the Polar Bear Plunge has been added to the event lineup, and two above ground swimming pools have been built in Yards Park. All proceeds from the plunge will go to support the Special Olympics District of Columbia.
– We want to make sure you have the best Super Bowl yet, and you have to admit that trying to find a spot or order a drink at an overcrowded bar isn’t exactly the most fun. We’re hosting our own Super Bowl party at City Winery, which is spacious enough for everyone, and tastes of your favorite wine, beer, and cocktails are all included in your ticket. The game will be projected on big screens throughout the space, so you won’t miss any of the action (or more importantly, the commercials).
– Love the National Museum of Women in the Arts, but don’t want to pay for admission? Sunday, February 3rd, admission fees will be waived from 12-5 pm.
– Roofer’s Union is a classic Adams Morgan neighborhood bar and restaurant, and they’re celebrating their fifth-year anniversary this year! Starting on the 4th and lasting all week long, pay them a visit for half price beer and a limited time collection of vintage brews on tap.
– The Wharf has an event or two practically every week, and you won’t want to miss an opportunity to participate in the Curling Tournament. Though it will be a competition, you certainly don’t have to be a pro. Try it out, have fun, and maybe even meet a new friend along the way. You’ll be able to join either in a group or as an individual.
– Are you a Friends fiend? Test your knowledge at the Friends themed trivia at Pinstripes Georgetown. Bring your actual friends for backup, and if you’re good, you may go home a little richer than when you came in.
– Looking to finally meet someone special that you can also have an interesting conversation with? Speed dating is a quick, almost exhilarating way to do that, and you’re only committed to two minutes at a time. If you’re a woman in the LGBTQ community, join us for our speed dating event and happy hour at Pitchers!
– For all those who love social sports, we’ve got a new one for you to try out. Glow Bocce will take place at Nellie’s Sports Bar on Thursday, February 6th, and the best part, it’s completely free to join. Also, it’s glow in the dark. Maybe that’s the best part.
– In DC, you’re in the unique position of being surrounded by embassies, and sometimes that means getting to attend super cool events. The recently opened Embassy of Sri Lanka will be hosting an evening at the embassy to celebrate the country’s culture. Your ticket will get you inside, as well as include traditional food, drink, art, and music. You’ll also be able to enjoy a Sri Lankan tea tasting.
– Start your February off right by supporting a great cause, and having a lot of fun doing it. Join us for the Cupid’s Undie Run, where participants will be running a mile in, yes, their underwear, to support “finding a cure for neurofibromatosis (NF), a genetic tumor disorder that affects 1 in every 3,000 births.” You run in your undies in solidarity with the babies that aren’t able to hide their tumors and feel comfortable. Discomfort is the point.
– Feel like a queen, and get served by a queen, at Chanellie’s Drag Brunch at Nellie’s Sports Bar! Your ticket includes the show, an all-you-can-eat buffet, and a complementary mimosa or zing zang bloody mary, which is a pretty fabulous deal if you ask me!
– Make the most of your winter with a late-night snow tubing (adult) field trip. You’ll start the party at Irish Times, and then a #DCFray bus will pick you up and take you to Avalanche Express, where you’ll be able to enjoy two hours of tubing. And the bus there and back will be its own kind of adventure, with drinks, games, and snacks.
– Did you ever play Hungry Hungry Hippos as a child? Welp, now’s your chance to bring that game to life with our unique event, Hungry Human Hippos on Ice 2019 at the Wharf. Teams of 4-6 hit the ice for a game so fun you’ll wish it was a professional sport. Unfortunately, this particular event is sold out, but keep it on your radar so you’ll be ready to pounce when the next one takes place!
– The 2019 Lunar New Year Parade will be hosted by Mayor Muriel Bowser on Sunday, February 10th, from 1 to 4 p.m. in Chinatown. It’s free, it’s fun, and it’s a great way to spend a Sunday with your friends. Celebrate the Year of the Pig by enjoying “traditional and colorful performances,” as well as many interactive activities.
– Who else has a fascination with speakeasies? Well, there’s a new speakeasy in town, and it’s even cooler than the rest because it’s housed in a 1890s-era firehouse station. No speakeasy would be complete without specialty cocktails and live 1920’s style jazz music provided by DC’s best Prohibition-era jazz band, the Foggy Bottom Whomp-Stompers. All you have to do is let the Engine Co. No. 12 host know the password, and you’re in for the night.
– Every Monday, DC Fray and Kingfisher host a weekly bingo session, and it’s going strong into February. Easier than trivia, but equally as fun, this is a great way to spend a Monday night and try to win some prizes. DC Fray also hosts bingo at other locations, on other days of the week. Take a peek at the schedule here.
– Have you thoroughly enjoyed your experience with DC Fray, and want to participate in a more meaningful (and financially viable) way? Come out to the Hiring Happy Hour at Grand Central, and find out ways you can join the team. This will be a chance to network with staff and pitch yourself to the company.
– If you want another go at winning the curling tournament, tonight is your shot to do so.
– Timed just before Valentine’s Day, The Jaleo Bethesda Cooking Class: Spanish Date Night will be the perfect way to practice cooking something special and romantic before the big day. You can even make it an event in itself and take the class with your sweetheart! You’ll learn the art of Spanish cooking and taste a few delicious alcoholic beverages as well.
– If you pushed off your gift shopping just a little too much, or if you just want to get the love party started a little early, you might want to check out the Valentine’s Market in Crystal City. Food and craft vendors will be set up at the Grounds from 4 to 7 p.m. for you shop around and get some good food and drinks to set the Valentine’s Day mood.
– If you missed the first glow bocce event, not to fret, it’s back on the 13th at Nellie’s.
– DC is all about trivia, you know this, but here’s a different theme for you. Mean Girls. If you know the movie inside and out, here is your chance to shine.
– Our Back to 90s Valentine’s Day party will be the Valentine’s Day party in the city this year. It doesn’t matter if you’re single or in a relationship, all are welcome for this major throwback event. Dress up in your favorite 90s character and come ready to enjoy a medley of performances inspired by the decade. There will be drinks, food, and a lot of dancing, so if you want a unique experience this year, this is it!
– If you’re a lesbian and are interested in meeting cool, dynamic women, you may want to head to the Lesbian Happy Hour at the Embassy Row Hotel on Friday, February 15th. There will be drink specials and appetizers, as well as a fun, casual atmosphere to get you comfortable chatting. This event is open to all who wish to attend!
– For all you kombucha lovers out there, you won’t want to miss the Kombucha Brewing Workshop, where you’ll be able to not only make your own kombucha, but participate in a tasting of everyone else’s at the workshop! You’ll even be able to to take a mason jar home with you. If you haven’t jumped on the kombucha train just yet, but you’re curious, this workshop may just take you over the edge.
– Enjoy your (hopefully) day off this President’s Day by heading to a late brunch. There are too many options to list, but it may be time to try a new restaurant in the city! And if you’re a bloody mary lover…well, read this.
– And by now you should be really good at curling, so go out there and win this competition. Curling is again at The Wharf, at 7:30 p.m.
– More trivia, this time geared towards all the “Pott Heads” out there. Harry Potter themed trivia will be held at the Hard Rock Café, so grab your wands!
– DC Fray will host another speed dating event, this one designed for everyone. We’ll meet at Big Chief and you’ll have four minutes to get to know someone over several rounds. Of course, there will also be food, drinks, and raffle prizes to keep it going. How it works? The DC Fray staff will send you your best matches the next day, and hopefully you’ll be able to set up that second date!
– Missed the last snow tubing event, or had so much fun you want to go again? We’re bringing it back one more time this month. Make sure to tag #FrayLife as you document the adventure!
– The Chocolate, Wine, and Whiskey Festival is the winter festival of all festivals. You’ll get unlimited tastings of all three with your ticket, so get ready to indulge. Tickets are selling out fast, so if you can’t get yours, join the waitlist for a chance to get in.
– Though DC Fashion Week is not the same as New York Fashion Week, for those that love fashion it’s still an event worth attending. The presentation and party will be at the Embassy of France, and featured collections will be a mix of local and international designers. Dress to impress and get ready to mingle with the who’s who of DC!
– Networking is a lot more fun with drinks and bar games, right? The H Street Country Club is hosting their monthly networking event (postponed from January) on February 26th. Meet new friends and challenge them to a game of shuffleboard.
– Was Buffy the Vampire Slayer your love (romantically and platonically) in the 90’s and early 2000’s? Now you have a chance to put all your Buffy knowledge to the test at trivia night, hosted by Black Cat. All proceeds from the event go to benefit HIPS, an organization that works to reduce overdoses in DC.
– Take a breath because we’re giving you another chance to come to our Hiring Happy Hour, this time at Continental. Bring your best self and get ready to gain a chance to get more involved with DC Fray!
February may be short, but it’s jam packed with events and activities…and sports! If basketball is your game, watch the Wizards
If there’s an event we didn’t mention, add it in the comments below, and tag us at #Fraylife and #DCFray while you’re being social!
Need more motivation to go out and be active? Check out these New Years resolutions. It’s never to late to add a little more excitement into your life with these #FrayLife approved local spots!
View More Articles By Masha Bernam
GET OUR WEEKLY EMAIL »