The most loved and the most hated holiday is here.
Whether you celebrate Valentine’s Day, Galentine’s Day, or don’t celebrate either, there are plenty of events going on this week that will let you have fun with your love, friends, or yourself!
Wednesday is solely dedicated to the ladies to commemorate Galentine’s Day because Beyonce got it right when she said girls run the world. But, of course, there are many Valentine’s Day themed events including a couples cooking class, speed dating event, a Valentine’s Ball, and more!
Wednesday, February 13
– If you pushed off your gift shopping just a little too much, or if you just want to get the love party started a little early, you might want to check out the Valentine’s Market in Crystal City. Food and craft vendors will be set up at the Grounds from 4 to 7 p.m. for you shop around and get some good food and drinks to set the Valentine’s Day mood.- Thanks to “Parks and Rec” character Leslie Knope, Galentine’s Day is the most unofficial official holiday. Today is dedicated to you ladies.
– This is the “Galentine’s” version of drinks and a movie. The National Museum of American History will host a screening of Bridesmaids on Feb. 13 at 7:55 p.m. Before the movie there will be a cocktail party, photo ops, and live music! Tickets for the party and movie are $25-40. If you’re seeing the movie only, tickets are $10.
– Wine helps you to forget your single, and when that doesn’t work, chocolate makes you feel better about being single. City Winery DC will celebrate Galentine’s Day on Feb. 13 with a chocolate and wine pairing event. During this 90-minute session, you will get to try various wines and mouth-watering chocolates. Tickets are $40 and the event begins at 6:30 p.m.
– There’s no reason to stay at home and eat a tub of ice cream while watching sappy rom-coms. Head to Mindspace to cook up boozy ice cream cocktails! You’ll get to combine science and fun to create your own flavors of delicious, frozen ice cream-booz concoctions. The class begins at 5:30 p.m. and tickets are $45-70.
-Bocce is what happens when you marry lawn bowling with shuffleboard scoring. DC Fray is hosting GLOW Bocce at Nellie’s Sports Bar at 7:00 PM. Best of all, it’s FREE! Just RSVP to join.
Thursday, February 14
– Have you found a date for Valentine’s Day yet? If not, head to Finn & Porter Restaurant to meet that special someone at Valentine’s Day seated speed dating. You’ll get to meet other singles for one hour and then enjoy a fun night of drinking with a cash bar! The event begins at 7 p.m. and tickets are $20.
– There’s a lot of mixed feelings about Valentine’s Day. Some love it, while others dread it. Regardless of how you feel about the holiday, Improbable Comedy will put on a show that will celebrate love, but also poke fun at the love-themed holiday. The Sweet & Sour Valentine’s Day Show featuring comedians John Povermo and Franqui French will start at 7:30 p.m at Busboys and Poets. Tickets are $20.
Friday, February 15
– Rather than just sticking to the same old Valentine’s Day routine of eating a nice dinner out, learn how to make a delicious dinner at a couple’s cooking class. You and your significant other will learn how to make Steak Au Poivre with Brandy Cream Sauce, Parmesan Potato Gratin, and Chocolate Souffles with Espresso Whipped Cream. The class will be held at Tastemakers at 7 p.m. Tickets are $150 per couple and include a welcome snack, dinner, and complimentary wine or beer.
– Have yourself a hilarious night at the Capital Comedy Festival. The festival will take place at the DAR Constitution Hall at 8 p.m. The lowest priced tickets are $59.
– You know who’s always there for you? Beer. Join the Brewers Association of Maryland at Love Thy Beer to celebrate Maryland Craft Beer Lover’s Month. You’ll get to meet beer experts and talk everything stouts, porters, and sours! A variety of specialty beers will be featured, and you’ll get to try a “Cupid’s Curse” brew the brewers have crafted. This boozy event starts at 6 p.m. at the Silver Spring Civic Building. Tickets are $55-75.
Saturday, February 16
– Paint and sip events are always a creative way to spend your Saturday afternoon. Grab a friend and get ready to create a beautiful masterpiece, while sipping on alcoholic beverages the whole time. This event will be held at City Winery at 2 p.m. Tickets are $40.
– Italy is considered to be one of the most romantic places in the world. The Embassy of Italy will bring romance to DC with Valentine’s Ball. You can expect live ballroom dancing, a ballroom dance presentation, “Roméo et Juliette” opera présentation, late night dancing and a DJ, Italian food and refreshments, a movie screening, and open bar, and delicious chocolates. Tickets are $125.
Sunday, February 17
– Did you know February 18 is National Drink Wine Day? Mangia will host a celebration for the day on Sunday at the Lincoln Cottage. At this event, you’ll discover at least 10 different wines, enjoy tasty cheeses, fruits, meats, and balsamic, learn insider tips, and get special deals from different wine vendors. The celebration begins at 5 p.m. Tickets are $39.
Monday, February 18
– Celebrate President’s Day with a free tour of President George Washington’s beautiful home, Mount Vernon. Admission will also be free on Feb. 22, for Washington’s 287th birthday. No registration or tickets are required. Just show up!
– Join the discussion about food waste at “Not Wasted Dinner,” a tribute to the mission to end food waste in the hospitality industry. The chefs will prepare a four-course dinner made from “trashed” ingredients including roots, stems, and cuttings. An interactive discussion will also take place with dinner, where you’ll learn different ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle. The dinner begins at 7 p.m. at Equinox Restaurant. Tickets are $65.
– Are you a workout feen and feeling sore or stiff from your workout routine? Dr. Mike Yason, DPT, CSCS, and owner of Big League Performance and Rehabilitation will host a mobility and mimosas event from 10 to 11 a.m. to help you out! During the one hour workshop at The Yards local Lululemon, you will learn different exercises to improve mobility and decrease pain, and how to strengthen your performance in the gym. Mimosas will follow the workshop. This event is free.
Tuesday, February 19
– Who doesn’t love Michael Buble? Buble’s “Don’t Believe the Rumors” tour will come to DC Tuesday night at 8 p.m. The concert will be held at the Capital One Arena. The lowest priced tickets are $85.
-Put your game faces on and get ready to sweep! DC Fray is hosting a Curling Tournament at the Wharf at 7:30 PM. Yes, curling. That sport you claim is so lame, yet you can’t peel yourself away from the TV when it’s on during the Winter Olympics. Now’s your chance to be part of the action. Tickets are available for $45 each or $220 for a full teams of six.
Don’t be shy about being single this Valentine’s Day! Get off the couch and pause your rom-com, it’s time to go out and have some fun. There’s plenty to do for singles in DC this Valentine’s Day.
View More Articles By Briana Florez