New year = new wins!
We hope your holiday celebrations were very merry, but now it’s time to make 2019 the best year yet! If your new year resolution is to get out of the house and have more fun, look no further than our weekly wins.
From food and wine tastings to yoga classes, music festivals, and free exhibit tours and pop-ups, there are endless options to kick off your first week of 2019!
Wednesday, January 2
– H Street is full of so much history, but also extraordinary culinary talent. Experience the many tastes of H Street paired with ice cold craft beers, on a tasting walking tour. Tickets are $79.
Thursday, January 3
– Start the new year off right with the Arlington Business Connectors’ Health & Wellness Team for healthy happy hour! Seasonal refreshments will be offered, retail therapy, and you can sample various services from local health experts including physical therapy, career coaching, chiropractic, counseling and more. The happy hour will be held at TechSpace and is free!
– Learn the ins and outs of cocktail crafting with a mixology class at The Bird. A senior bartender will teach you cocktail basics, techniques, infusions and food pairings. You will get to pair complimentary snacks with the drinks you make! The class begins at 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $65.
– Enjoy a free bluegrass festival and tap takeover at Union Stage. The festival will feature The Plate Scrapers. Two Ton Twig, and a bluegrass string quintet. Doors open at 5 p.m., and the show starts at 8 p.m.
Friday, January 4
– JT (Justin Timberlake) will bring “SexyBack” to DC Friday night.. The 10 time Grammy award winner will bring his Man of the Woods tour to the Capital One Arena at 7:30 p.m. The lowest priced tickets are $55.
– New Year…New Wine? Try out wines you’ve never had before at a wine tasting event. The tasting will be held at the Washington Post building from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Your $50 general admission ticket will include one white wine, one rose wine, two red wines, an uncorked wine tote bag, and professionally catered pairings.
– Did you make a new year resolution about working out more? You can follow through on that resolution at “Spin & Sip with Coco.” Hip-hop and electronic music will pump you up during the one-hour spin class, and you’ll get to reward yourself with snack and sips afterwards! Tickets are $23.
Saturday, January 5
– For the photography enthusiasts out there – a free, guided tour of the photography and photojournalism exhibits at the Newseum will take place from 8:55 to 11 a.m. There will be an optional lunch and discussion afterwards. RSVP here.
– Find your flow while the record spins…literally. Vinyl and Vinyasa will take place at 11:30 a.m. at Songbyrd Record Cafe and Music House. After the class, complimentary mimosas will be served. Tickets are $10.
Sunday, January 6
– Ladies, have you read Michelle Obama’s memoir, Becoming yet? Bring yourself and your book to BYOB (Bring Your Own Book Club), and participate in a discussion with dinner! Your $35 ticket includes an entree, dessert, glass of wine, and 15 percent off the next month’s book pick. The event begins at 4 p.m. and will be held at Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe.
– Enjoy a free community day at National Museum of Women in the Arts. You will get to see the large collection of work by female artists including Frida Kahlo, Amy Sherman, and Judy Chicago. The exhibits will be open from 12 to 5 p.m.
– We love a good DC pop-up. Big Chief will host “The Really Big Pop-Up” from 1 to 6 p.m. Local DMV vendors featuring art, vintage clothing, sneakers, clothing brands, and more will be showcased. Admission is free!
Monday, January 7
– Sharpen your wine knowledge during a one hour class at Cork & Fork DC. You will learn about the key elements of wine including the vine’s life cycle, concept of terroir, winemaking process, and more. You will get to sip on four different types of wines and enjoy a dessert. The class begins at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $50.
– Hang out with us at Kingfisher DC for free bar bingo from 8 to 10 p.m! You might even win some free beer and swag. The night begins at 8 p.m.
Tuesday, January 8
– Judy Garland, A Star is Born will make its debut at Signature Theatre in Arlington on Tuesday. The show will highlight some of Garland’s best moments in The Wizard of Oz and A Star is Born. The show begins at 8:30 p.m. and the lowest priced tickets are $38.
What are your new year resolutions? Be sure to share them with us using #FrayLife #DCFray on social
We’ve got some great content coming soon to help you maximize your time in DC in 2019 coming out over the next few weeks, but in the meantime, check out these 4 trails where you can hike in peace and quiet.
View More Articles By Briana Florez