We have so many weekly wins his week for you to enjoy the last weekend of September, and celebrate the start of October!
From food tours and celebrations, to a silent disco, outdoor Star wars screening, and Maroon 5 concert, there is no shortage of fun in the DC area this week. Not to mention, the Caps are back, and we can’t wait to get into the Capital One Arena to watch them play!
Get your calendar ready, and add in all of these wins to make sure you have the best week possible!
Wednesday, September 26
– Need a pick me up before work? Dance until sunrise on the rooftop of The Watergate Hotel! The event is called, “Daybreaker” and is a silent disco. Yoga is from 6 to 7 a.m. and the dance party begins at 7. There will be free breakfast, cold brew, live performances and awesome surprises. Tickets are $35.
– Expand your palette with a variety of foods from restaurants on Uptown Main Street with, “Taste of Uptown.” This is Uptown’s first walking food tour. You head to a check-in location and grab a custom map, and then visit participating restaurants for a snack or small drink. All funds raised through ticket sales will be given back to small and local businesses in the community. The tour begins at 4 p.m. You can purchase tickets and see a full list of restaurants participating here.
Thursday, September 27
– The 3rd Annual DC Salsa and Bachata Festival will take place Thursday through Sunday at The Westin Alexandria Hotel. The festival features five nights of themed parties, four different dance rooms, more than 50 workshops, awesome performances, and 83 restaurants. You can purchase tickets to the many activities happening throughout the festival here.
Friday, September 28
– If you’re a Star Wars fan, then you can’t miss “Star Wars Under the Stars.” This event will be held at the Library of Congress. Materials and works which inspired the Star Wars story will be on display, and a panel of scholars will discuss the actual history Star Wars incorporated into the films, and lessons we can learn from it. At 7:30 p.m. “Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes – – Back” will be shown at the Jefferson Building North Lawn. This event is free, but you can register here.
-It’s that special time of year for some Washingtonians. Your Wizards are gearing up for the start of the NBA Season and what better way to get you hyped than checking them out during training camp practices open to the public. Did we forget to mention it’s FREE! Make sure to RSVP while there are still tickets available!
Saturday, September 29
– A fun combination of a 5K run/walk, DJ yoga session, and guided meditation called “Wanderlust 108,” will take place Saturday from 6:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. After the “mindful triathlon” (running, yoga, meditation), check out local artisans, try healthy snacks or lunches, or dance on stage to the beats the DJ is playing! Wanderlust 108 will be held at The Lawn at Oklahoma Avenue. Purchase tickets here.
– Oktoberfest season is here! Crystal City Oktoberfest, Northern Virginia’s largest Oktoberfest, will take place Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. More than 100 craft beers will be poured from over 50 different regional craft breweries. A general admission ticket includes 10 – 4 oz. beer sampling tickets, festival entry and live entertainment. Many different food trucks will be at the event to cure your hunger, but is an additional charge.
– “Oyster Wars” is an oyster and beer lover’s dream. From 3 to 8 p.m., The Salt Line and Other Half Brewing will host an event that features some of the most talented chefs, and best breweries and oyster farms from all over the East coast. Your ticket includes oysters and samples from a variety of chefs and oyster farms. A la carte brewery selections will be available for purchase throughout the entire day.
Sunday, September 30
– Why not get in a nice workout while enjoying a gorgeous view? Fitbit Local will host, “Yoga on the Riverfront” Sunday morning from 10 to 11 a.m. The one hour session will include yoga flow/renewing mediation, and core burn. Following the session, there will be a fitbit and Outdoor Voices giveaway. Make sure to bring your own mat! This event is free.
– Let’s Go Caps! Preseason is here, and the Washington Capitals will take on the St. Louis Blues Sunday at 3 p.m. Tickets right now, are selling for as low as $5. Cheering on the Caps is a perfect way to round off your weekend!
Monday, October 1
– October is National Seafood month. To celebrate sustainable seafood, a celebration will be held at the Ivy City Smokehouse from 6 to 9 p.m. Funds from the event will support the Seafood Nutrition Partnership. Delectable seafood bites and drinks will be made for you by different chefs and and vendors from throughout the DC area. The celebration will also feature games and “swag” winning opportunities! Tickets are $50.
– If you’re one of those people that is always looking to try something new, an adult ukulele class will be taught from 10 to 11 a.m. at Convergence. You will learn basic chords, strumming patterns, and a little bit of music theory in a no pressure environment. You will however, need to bring your own soprano or ukulele, but these can also be purchased through the instructor. You can read more information about the class here.
Tuesday, October 2
– Maroon 5 will make their way to the Capital One Arena Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m. This is your chance to hear “Girls Like You,” the current #1 song on Billboard’s Top 100 list live, in addition to many of their other hits. The lowest priced tickets are going for $95.
What are your plans for this week? If you’re getting into anything fun, be sure to let us know or show us, using #FrayLife on social.
View More Articles By Briana Florez