July may be hot and right in the middle of summer, but here at Fray, we’ve curated a long list of fun activities, many of them water activities, day drinking, and our annual Field Day
Wednesday, July 3
– Really into fireworks and celebrating America, but hate the crowds and tourists that usually accompany Independence Day festivities in the district? Try for a moonlight cruise the night before instead. The Independence Eve Margarita Cruise will take off right as the sun is setting and sail along the Potomac River, providing you with a spectacular view of the monuments all lit up at night. Your night will end with fireworks, that you’ll be able to watch from the boat.
– You can’t miss the 4th of July Fireworks on the National Mall. It will be crowded, but it’s also a right of passage in this city. The firework display usually gets underway a little after 9 pm, so make sure to get the National Mall early to get a good spot.
Photo Credit: washington.org
– Every Thursday for the rest of the summer, Glen’s Garden Market in Dupont will be hosting Thursday Night Cookouts. They’ll be grilling up hot dogs, burgers, sliders, all with vegetarian options on their outdoor patio. Glen’s also has $4 beers at happy hour to wash down the food.
Friday, July 5
– The Capital Fringe Festival starts July 5th and continues on through the rest of the month. The idea is to incorporate self-made performing arts all over Washington D.C. Check out the full events calendar and ways you can get involved here.
Saturday, July 6
– If you’re a kid at heart but want to take fun to the next, more adult level, join us at our Late Night Grown Up Takeover at Sandy Spring Adventure Park. Trained instructors will guide you through the climbs and zip lines throughout the park, and you’ll have an opportunity to work your way up the 13 trails until you become a pro.
Photo Credit: Sandy Spring Adventure Park
Tuesday, July 9
– Glow Yoga on the Mall is the perfect opportunity to blend taking care of your health and also taking care of your social needs. No matter what level you’re at, you’ll enjoy this vinyasa flow class, and you’ll especially enjoy the beautiful golden hour/sunset views from your mat. You are responsible for bringing your mat, but we’ll take care of the body paint and glow sticks.
Friday, July 12
– Jazz in the Garden, a free jazz concert every Friday at the sculpture garden of The National Gallery of Art, is still going strong. Grab some friends and head over the sculpture garden to claim a spot on the grass or around the fountain to listen! We highly recommend purchasing a pitcher of sangria to share. Just make sure to get there early!
Photo Credit: RPC/V
Saturday, July 13
– We’re hosting a Potomac Booze Cruise on Saturday, July 13th with booze (of course), music, and a party mood. Most exciting, the boat will actually be a decked-out pirate ship. If you can, we’d love to have you dress up for the theme!
Sunday, July 14
– Think you’re a champ at water sports? Test your skills at Bump, Set, Splash! Water Volly Tournament at the Liaison Hotel rooftop pool. It’s $10 per person to participate, and you’ll compete in teams of 4 for 12 minute games. You bring your game face and we’ll provide the drink specials, DJ, and prizes.
Wednesday, July 17
– Thinking of going old school and trying your hand at the dating scene without your phone? Come out to Mellow Mushroom and enjoy meeting new people at speed dating, whether it’s for love or friendship. Plus, there will be happy hour food and drinks, as well as a raffle (which if you win, you could use towards your next date).
Friday, July 19
– One of the best perks about living in a city like D.C. is being able to attend international events at the embassies. The French Embassy is holding its dance soiree, where you’ll not only be able to network with the who’s who in the diplomat world, but also learn how to dance the waltz and salsa. French wine and desserts will be included in the cost of your ticket.
Photo Credit: Pinterest
Saturday, July 20
– The DC Fray River Tubing Trip is the perfect spot to meet some new pals! We’ll meet as a group early in the morning and provide transportation to Front Royal Canoe where you’ll be able to tube along the river for the next 2-4 hours. All equipment will be provided, so you don’t have to worry about a thing.
Sunday, July 21
– Another boat party for you, this one is 90s Hip Hop and R&B themed, so be prepared for a lot of dancing and great throwbacks. It really takes #SundayFunday to a new level. Both food and drink will be available for purchase on the cruise.
Wednesday, July 24
– Summer and baseball go together, well, like summer and baseball. We’re hosting a Nats Night Out, where for only $20 a ticket you’ll get admission to the happy hour at Walters Sports Bar, exclusive drink specials, and seats at the game. That’s a pretty sweet deal!
Photo Credit: USA Today
Thursday, July 25
– Join us for bingo at Union Market every Thursday. It’s all the fun of trivia without any of the pressure. Of course, we’ll have prizes for the winners and drink specials all night. Plus, it’s extra fun at Union Market since there are so many food and drink options.
Saturday, July 27
– Remember field day back in grade school? Well, we’re bringing it back in a big way with our annual DC Field Day event on July 27th. Whether you join a group, go by yourself you’ll be among hundreds of participants looking to have a great time. Old favorites like tug of war, sack races, and obstacle courses are sure to make an appearance. It’ll be an all-day event so come prepared to have a lot of fun.
Sunday, July 28
– There’s something about watching horse races live that makes one feel so classy. DC Polo’s Funbrella event mixes the fun of summer with the excitement of polo. Expect beach chairs, fun umbrellas (hence the name) drinks, and a day of polo.
– The Georgetown Sunset Cinema series, presented annually by the Georgetown BID, will play the original Parent Trap on July 30th at sunset. Bring a date and a picnic basket and get settled in for the movie on a beautiful summer night. If you can’t make this one, there are a few more movies in August.
Tuesday, July 31
– Every Wednesday during the summer, The Wharf features free concerts on the pier. If you haven’t had a moment to catch one yet, come out to celebrate the last day of July with a little music on the waterfront.
View this post on Instagram
Book your Wednesdays: Join us every week for our summer concert series, Wednesday at The Wharf. Tonight: 19th Street Band takes the Transit Pier stage at 6:30pm. 🎵 July 3: Swift Technique July 10: Pebble To Pearl July 17: The JoGo Project July 24: La Unica July 31: FeelFree August 7: Air Force Max Impact August 14: Jimi Smooth & Hittime August 21: Justin Trawick and The Common Good . . . #WharfDC #myDCcool #igdc
Summers are meant for more fun and less work, and we’d love to know what you’re up to. If you find yourself at any of the events we’ve listed, tag us using #DCFray and #Fraylife!
Looking to get out of the district? Here are 4 amazing day trips for the summer!