After a “brief” 50 year hiatus, summer’s most anticipated baseball event is finally back in the District. That’s right. The Home Run Derby and other MLB All-Star festivities make their way to Nationals Park for five days of exciting action starting this weekend.
Don’t know where to start? Luckily, we’ve been preparing for this situation and we’re here to offer tips and tricks for navigating through all of the All-Star hype.
With some off-season stadium renovations and an emerging Capitol Riverfront neighborhood, the fan experience at the Midsummer Classic is set to be one to remember.
From FanFest’s to 5k’s to food special after food special, #FrayLife has you covered from beginning to end with the ultimate guide for maximizing your fun during MLB All-Star Week.
Friday, July 13th
– To kick off the weekend, the Nationals are constructing the largest interactive baseball theme park in the world called FanFest. This event will run for all five days and feature a few MLB legends and cutting edge attractions, as well as free autographs and daily giveaways. Attendees include the Nationals’ Ryan Zimmerman, as well as Hall of Famers such as Andre Dawson, Ferguson Jenkins, Johnny Bench and Dave Winfield.
– Located at The Yards in Capitol Riverfront, PLAY BALL PARK is a 56,000-square-foot area featuring multiple interactive festivities for the entire family, including both baseball and softball activities.
– Chubbies Store in Georgetown is hosting a baseball movie happy hour. The drinking commences at 6PM and features your favorite childhood baseball movies, as well as delicious snacks!
– Combing art with baseball, The Wharf is hosting a four-day festival filled with food, music, fashion, and, of course, art! MLB Assembly at the Wharf is your go-to All-Star party complete with live DJs, plus a mix of fun giveaways leading right up to the Midsummer Classic. Events run from 10AM – 10PM all weekend long, with the exception Friday, which starts at 12PM.
#FrayLife Tip: Tickets for FanFest are available individually, or in bundled offerings such as our discounted Family Packs, BOGO Friday, and Two for Tuesday.
Saturday, July 14th
– The largest 5k series in the world is invading the Capitol Riverfront! The Color Run is a superhero-inspired course features a Foam Blaster area and a Hero Zone, complete with participant kits filled with goodies and MLB mascots to help cheer you on.
#FrayLife Tip: The start-line window will be open from 8 a.m. until 8:45 a.m! Make sure you plan your day with plenty of time.
Sunday, July 15th
– DC favorite Lost & Found is hosting a can’t miss summertime All-Star BBQ! Food will be brought in from BBW Bus Smokehouse and live 80s, 90s, and 00s jams will be played all afternoon. And, obviously, there will be plenty of cold beer, cocktails, and bubbly.
– Chubbies continues its All-Star Weekend festivities with an evening of comedy standup featuring some of DC’s best comics.
– Before the stars of the MLB take the field, Nationals Park will feature a doubleheader. First, witness some of the best stars of tomorrow with the Futures Game.
– For the second game, MLB legends and baseball-loving celebrities battle it out for a fun-filled All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game.
Monday, July 16th
Joey Chestnut @ Chubbies
– Coney Island legend Joey Chestnut will be in DC for one night only! Come by for a meet & greet with the hot dog eating champion at Chubbies and stay for trivia night for a chance to win some awesome prizes! Hint: if it comes up in trivia, Chesnut recently set a new world record of 74 hot dogs eaten in 12 minutes.
– This is the first opportunity fans will have to see their favorite stars up close. Watch in awe as players meet on the field for batting practice.
– Let’s be real, this is probably our (and everyone’s) favorite event of All-Star Week. While the participants are yet to be announced, we know the Nats own Bryce Harper will be swinging for the fences, and you can expect him to be joined by a star-studded list of power hitters ready to send those baseballs wayyy back, back, back…and gone! Check here for new participants as they are added.
– Need a good spot to watch the Derby? Up Top Acres has you covered. Enjoy the view of Nats park while devouring mouthwatering burgers and other grill favorites from Bluejacket.
Tuesday, July 17th
– The week closes out with the grandest spectacle of all: the MLB All-Star Game. The brightest stars from the American League and the National League fight for World Series home-field advantage. The entire world will be watching as one league looks to claim victory and bragging rights for the next year.
Restaurants to Hit Up All Week
As All-Star weekend rolls into town, many DC bars and restaurants are welcoming the crowds with specials that are as awesome as the players on the field. Here are some of our go-to spots to check out throughout the week.
Continuing with their pre-All-Star Game festivities, The Wharf is also jammed packed with restaurant specials, discounts, and themed snacks all weekend long with their All-Star Game Salute. Here some of the best offers:
– District Doughnuts is your specialty doughnut hot spot right in the Nation’s Capital. Throughout the weekend, they’ll be offering Funfetti Doughnut Ice Cream Sandwiches, as well as other internationally-inspired selections.
– Popular waterfront pub Brighton SW1 is offering a very special offer for baseball fans. If you’re wearing any jersey of any player, you can help yourself to 15% off drinks and cocktails.
– If you’re in the mood for a baseball food classic, make your way to Jenny’s at The Wharf where you can take advantage of $5 premium hot dogs with scallion buns, plus try out their newest iteration of Chinese and Asian-fusion cuisine.
– Satisfy your sweet tooth with gourmet chocolates at one of DC’s first chocolate manufacturers, Harper Macaw. The perfect way to end the night is with a 20% discount off of any chocolate goodie of your choice. You’ll also be supporting rainforest restoration and protection with every purchase!
If those spots don’t tickle your fancy, there are plenty of other options offering specials and deals for everyone. Some notable restaurants where you can maximize the discounts include South West Soda Pop Shop, Union Stage, Kirwin’s Irish Pub, H Bar, and Canopy Central Bar & Cafe!
Which event or restaurant will you try out during this fabulous activity-filled weekend in DC? Tag us using #FrayLife on social!
Not heading for the ballpark for All-Star festivities but still want to catch a game? Check out our guide to Nats Game Day.
View More Articles By Jackson Dean
GET OUR WEEKLY EMAIL »